30 hour Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) course
30 hour Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) course
Course Fees - £125.00
A 30 hour online TESOL/TEFL training course for existing Teachers/TEFL certificate holders, or those knowing that they will be teaching youngsters as part of a mission placement. Study at your own pace, with up to 6 months to complete.
- you’re TEFL qualified and want to specialise in teaching Young Learners
- you’re already in a mission placement setting, where you are teaching youngsters
- you’re about to head to a country where teaching English to young people is part of your placement
- you are heading to a place where there are minimal TEFL resources for teaching young people
Why this course
Get it right and there is nothing like the feeling of satisfaction you gain from teaching a class of young learners. But you need to be prepared. Facing a class of energetic youngsters without the necessary training is quite a different prospect.
Our Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) course helps you manage, motivate and succeed with the 3-17 year age group. Across 2 modules you’ll get full tutorial support and feedback on your work (unlike many other shorter add-ons courses) and our course comes with a 1 year subscription to Handouts Online, absolutely free, so you have a wealth of the most up-to-date materials to help you.
How the course works
As soon as you register, you'll get directed to log in to your personal student area where you can message your tutor, download your course and view latest TESOL jobs worldwide via our jobs feed.
After downloading your first module (there are 2 in total) you can work offline when you want to. This makes the course ideal if you are in a placement where internet connections are variable. When complete, simply upload your modules via your student area and get full feedback from your tutor. We've made this course as flexible and easy for you to access as possible.
When you are online, you’ll be able to access live teaching segments, podcasts and links to some of the top EFL material on the web today to keep you interested & motivated.
You'll get 10% off the price of this TEYL course and any other Christian TEFL online course when you purchase them together. Once you have chosen your course and clicked on the 'buy now' button, you will be given the option to add one of the related courses. Your discount will be calculated automatically.
This course is for existing EFL teachers who are teaching English in a service setting to youngsters from kindergarten through to teens. Applicants should already hold a TEFL certificate or be enroling on this course alongside the Christian TEFL 70 or 120 hour courses.
Our courses are open to all native and non-native English speakers with good written and spoken English. If you are a non-native English speaker, please see the course eligibility requirements on our FAQ page. Remember you can always ask us if you are not sure about your level of English.
We also welcome application from schools wishing to train their teachers in-house. Please email for more information.
This 2 module course is approx. 30 study hours and typically take between 3-4 weeks to complete but you can go faster or slower than that if you wish. Because many of our trainees are balancing work/life commitments, we go at your speed and allow up to 6 months for course completion. You can check out what’s covered on your course on the course content page.
The following areas are all covered in depth with potential areas for further research detailed after each section:
Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) – An Introduction
- The increasing demand for young learner English.
- Getting started with young learners.
Characteristics of a Young Learner
- From pre-school age right through to older teenagers.
- What makes them tick and how we can best meet their needs in the classroom.
Motivating Young Learners
- How to get the best out your students.
Teaching English to Kindergarten/Primary-aged learners
- What we teach them.
- The importance of lesson planning.
- Your very first lesson with a young learner group.
- Different learning strategies; including theme based learning, as well as ideas for developing the 4 basic skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
- Using topics to formulate lessons.
- Exercises that really work well with this age group from experienced English teachers.
Teaching English to Teenagers
- Lesson planning for teenagers.
- Behaviour management within the classroom & the importance of cultural and age awareness.
- Keeping our teenagers on track and motivated.
- TESOL exams that many teenagers have to take.
- Review of the best course books and web-based materials available to you today.
Teaching Young Learners with Minimal Resources
- How to use your students as the primary resource in your classroom.
- Ideas for teaching with minimal resources, such as how to best use discussion groups, drilling and dialogue creation, and the fun that can be had working with imaginary materials.
- The basic skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing when there is no course book.
- Taking your career and teaching to the next stage.
Read some comments on this course from trainees who took it with our sister organisation, Global English:
This is the 4th online course that I have done with Global English – I completed the Cert.(ES)TESOL in February 2008 and have since done the Business English course, the new English Grammar course and now the Teaching English to Young Learners course. I chose to do the TEYL course with GE as it includes teaching teenagers – many online TEYL courses only deal with teaching young learners up to age 12, but teaching teenagers is my area of particular interest.
I find the add-on courses that GE offers are a good way to continue my professional development – just reading a book isn’t the same because you don’t have to answer questions, don’t get any feedback, and don’t always remember the subject very well! I know that I can rely on a GE course to give me a good grounding in the subject, together with thought-provoking exercises and questions, and helpful comments on my written work. I have grown a lot as a teacher since I started my first course with GE in 2007, and have enjoyed all the courses that I have completed with them.
All the tutors at GE are very professional, answer queries quickly, and mark written work quickly. My thanks go particularly to my tutor for her help and support during this course and the Grammar course – thanks, Kerry, you’ve been an inspiration.
I commend the school and course appraisers unreservedly. A very 'adult' approach, solid content and both, expedient in operation and supportive in execution. Anyone wishing to gain an English Language Teaching certificate - could not get greater value for money anywhere on the internet; in my opinion... and believe me, I looked!
I found the course excellent in the classroom management area with lots of helpful tips (that seem to have come from an experienced teacher). Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed this course.
Read more reviews of our courses on the independent TEFL Course Review site here >>
We're so sure you'll love our courses, we offer a 14 day money-back guarantee. Enrol today, start your TEFL journey today...
Christian TEFL offers the 30 hour Teaching English to Young Learners course certificate for successful candidates (click on the certificate to enlarge):